Located equal-distance from Atlanta and Macon, Butts County was created on December 24, 1825 from parts of Henry and Monroe counties by the Georgia General Assembly as a gift to Governor George Troup, thus becoming Georgia’s 64th county.
Our 187 square mile county was named after Captain Samuel Butts. Captain Samuel Butts was an officer who was killed in the Battle of Calabee in Alabama during the Creek Indian War of 1811-15.
Originally, there were five cities within the county: Jackson, Flovilla, Jenkinsburg, Indian Springs, and Pepperton. Indian Springs later disincorporated, and Pepperton was merged with Jackson in 1966. Today, we have a total of three cities: Jackson, Flovilla, and Jenkinsburg.
Butts County's Economic Development
During General William Sherman’s March to the Sea, most of the county and its cities were destroyed. Up until the arrival of the first railroad train on May 5, 1882, Butts County struggled to regain its economic stability. In 1898, the Butts County Courthouse was constructed and designed by Bruce & Morgan, and in 1910, Jackson Lake was created after the construction of the Lloyd Shoals dam.
Jackson, Flovilla, & Jenkinsburg
In 1826, Jackson was created and named after General James Jackson, a Revolutionary War hero with a lustrous career as governor, statesman, ambassador, and man of letters.
Around 1882, Flovilla developed first as a railroad station, the Flovilla & Indian Springs Railway, which was an interurban railway line between Flovilla and Indian Springs. After being incorporated in 1885, the city changed its name from Indian Springs to Flovilla.
Incorporated in 1889, Jenkinsburg was named after William Jenkins, one of the first store owners within the city. Until his home was destroyed by fire in 1974, William Jenkins’ home was the oldest residence in Jenkinsburg.